How to launch app, open website and mute sounds on Windows Startup
There are several apps and actions we want to launch on Windows startup:
- Open Gmail as a web app.
- Assign a drive letter to my Windows user folder (yes, I'm oldschool guy who prefers drive letters instead of digging into folder trees)
- Mute sounds
Many applications provide a feature to open them when Windows starts, but above don't.
Hot Keyboard has an option to run a macro on Windows startup. We will create three macros, put them to a Hot Keyboard menu and set to execute this menu's items on Windows startup.
- Hot Keyboard 6.5.117 or above
- "Start Hot Keyboard on Windows startup" option must be enabled. (default)
Add a menu, let's name it "Windows Startup", and set two options:
- Execute all child macros of this menu in series
- Run macro by: Windows Startup, I set delay to 5 seconds to distribute initial load.
Add "Open web page" macro for Gmail:
- Set Google Chrome as a browser (you can leave yours, but next option is availble for Chrome only)
- Set "Open as desktop application" - so Gmail will run separately like a stand-alone app, and I don't have to switch between tabs to find it.
Add "Launch application" macro to assign a drive letter
- There is a Windows command "subst" that assigns a drive letter to a folder, so we put subst u: "c:\users\tyurin\"
Add "Sound Volume control" macro to set sounds to zero level
- 5. Restart.